Saturday, May 17, 2014

Before the Journey 5/16/2014



Today is the day we leave for Costa Rica!

When this study away opportunity arose, I did not think for one minute that I would be able to go.  I am a non-traditional student, older than most of my classmates, and a married mom of three young children.  But circumstances, and something deep down inside me kept leading me back to this opportunity, so I spoke to my husband about it and he has encouraged me to pursue it whole-heartedly.

I am going on this study abroad opportunity to Costa Rica to grow as a teacher and as an individual.  I hope to gain insight into teaching a diverse group of children even though I am sure that I will learn more from them than they will learn from me.  I am hoping to broaden my horizons and see and learn new things and meet new people who will leave forever impressions on my life.  I am hoping to take away new perspectives and teaching strategies that I can carry with me into my teaching career.

I am both excited and terrified for this trip.  Everything about it is out of my comfort zone (which is really tiny when I think about it).  I am embarking on this amazing opportunity to prove to myself and to my children, that it is never too late to have adventures, to do things that may scare you, to be passionate about something, to take chances, and to follow your dreams.  My dream, for as long as I can remember, has been to become a teacher and I believe that, while not necessary for completion of this task, this trip will help me grow and become a better teacher by helping me gain insight into diverse learners, and by letting me feel how diverse learners must feel when they are expected to complete a task identical to other students, when we all know that no two students are alike.  For those of you who do not know what this opportunity is about, we are a group of college students who speak little to no Spanish, who are experiencing a full inclusion exercise by living with families who do not speak English.

Another, more tangible, goal for me on this trip is to research autism and autism spectrum disorders in Costa Rica.  I am currently working on my graduate degree in this subject and I am lucky enough to be able to do my research project (required for this study abroad course) on it.  I am hoping to find out if and how they diagnose autism and what measures or interventions, if any, are taken in the schools and if students with autism are mainstreamed or taught in a special education classroom. 

I am so very excited about this trip and amazing opportunity, but like I said, I am also terrified.  I am terrified of flying, of traveling to a new country (did I mention I have never been out of the U.S.?), of leaving my family for three weeks, and most of all of leaving my three babies (ok, they are 8, 7, and 2 but they will always be babies to me).  I have many, MANY fears about his trip, but for every fear I have, I know there will be something wonderful happen to me on this journey that will help my personal growth.  Therefore, I am choosing not to let my fears hinder me from letting something great happen to me, and help me grow in as many ways possible.

Oh, and it has been a lifelong dream of mine to hug a sloth, but I will settle for just seeing one which seems to be a very promising possibility in Costa Rica!


No comments:

Post a Comment