Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Breaking the language barriers one “los siento no comprendo” at a time! 5/20/14



Since arriving at me casa with my host family, the language barrier has gone from infinite, to slowly being broken away.  The very first day, my host father spoke a little bit of English on the ride home and then upon arrival, went into his room and left me with my host mother who speaks no English at all.  I have not seen my host father again until tonight.  The first night, my host mother and I tried to communicate through my “caveman” Spanish, a pen and paper, and my Spanish dictionary.  Finally she went and got my host sister to translate.  The second night, my host sister ate dinner with me and was able to help translate, which was an answered prayer!  Tonight, my host father joined us for dinner, and told me the Spanish words for about ten items in the kitchen and told me he would test me tomorrow.  I will add those words to my homework for tonight.  Breakfast is always just me and my host mother, and today, I felt like I knew a little bit more than yesterday.  Small steps.
Today was our second day of Spanish classes which last for four hours every day.  I do not feel as though I am learning anything, however, I am seemingly able to understand more and more Spanish that I hear spoken, therefore I must be retaining something. 

Learning to do anything new is a process.  Yesterday, we reflected on something we have learned that was new to us and the process that helped us learn it.  I reflected on becoming a mom, and how I used advice from doctors, family, friends, and books, and how I also relied on trial and error and the crucial step of being able to admit my mistakes and not expect me to do everything perfect.  Being a mom is not a single skill, but yet a lifelong skill where there are new things to learn every day and at every stage of my children’s’ growth.  Learning a new language is a process as well and being thrown fully into the culture and language is extremely hard, overwhelming, exhausting, and honestly, surprisingly exciting. 
Today, we got to go into our first primary school.  Upon arriving in Costa Rica on Friday, we were informed that the teachers in this country are on strike and the schools are not in session.  Being the primary reason we came here, this was very disheartening news.  We since learned that the reason for the strike was because the teachers have not received paychecks since January.  We were still planning on visiting the schools even without students, but we were surprised by a small group of students being in the school.  Some of the teachers have returned to work, therefore only their students get to return to school.  I have been trying to think about if I would join the strike or try to continue to teach.  My instinct is that I would continue to teach because I am not becoming a teacher for the money.  Also, our family has survived on only my husband’s paycheck for our entire existence as a family, therefore, the paycheck would not be necessary for cost of living.  I would like to think I would continue to teach for the sole reason of the children.  The sole reason of me becoming a teacher is to make a difference in the lives of the children that I teach.  I would like to believe that I would continue with my passion for teaching children even if my work conditions were bad, or if I was not getting paid.  But in all reality, I cannot know what I would do unless it happens to me.

We were teaching in an English class.  We worked with both 3rd and 5th grades.  We were instructed to only speak English with the students.  The students are learning English but they know very little and some know hardly any at all, if not none.  I can honestly say, even after being here for less than a week, because of this experience, I know exactly how they felt!  They were being asked to communicate in a language that they cannot speak, just as I am.  The first student I worked with was a fifth grader.  The class was writing pen pal letters in English. My student’s name was Oscar and he was adorable.  But yet, he was frustrated, with both me and himself.  He was nervous and was trying so very hard but yet the words would just not come to him.  Oh Oscar, do I know how you feel!  Not being able to talk to him in Spanish (if I was actually able to) was the hardest part, but yet it forced me to come up with creative ways to communicate.  I tried writing things down, using gestures, and everything that I could think of, and everything that my host mother has been trying to use with me.  And just as it has happened with me and my host mother, it slowly began to work with me and Oscar.


Our second group was 3rd graders and we worked with small groups, playing games to help the students learn and review their English words, because they will soon be competing in an English spelling bee.  Our group was made up of three students, who are very advanced.  They were very attentive and had high ability of spelling and reading English words.  One of the three students was not quite as advanced as the other two and was starting to get discouraged, so we tried to differentiate the instruction by both process (how we taught it) and the product (the expected outcome).  We also helped encourage him along the way, as did his two group mates.  Both teaching experiences today were so much fun and very meaningful!  I cannot wait to get more involved with more students here in Costa Rica.




The amount of empathy I have gained for English Language Learners (ELL) and English as Second Language (ESL) students, in just 3 days is so immense that it pushes all of my fears, homesickness, and feelings of inadequacy aside.  I knew in my heart from the very beginning of hearing about this opportunity, that I needed to come to Costa Rica and it is already starting to prove its importance in my heart, in my self-growth and in my growth as a future teacher.  At the beginning I was unsure why I felt such a strong pull to get involved with this study away program, being nothing I would ever dream of doing and way out of my comfort zone, but after just one day of working with the students here, I am starting to see myself change in ways that will help me become a better teacher, and truly a better person.

Poco a poco (little by little) is all we can ask of ourselves, and little by little I am breaking down the language barrier, growing stronger everyday, and overcoming many obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment