Thursday, May 29, 2014

Half Way Mark



5/28/14

I try to start out each morning by listening to one random song on my MP3 player to set the mood for the day.  Ironically, today’s song was “Nothing is Easy” by Jethro Tull.
Today was a very hard day for me.  I do not have internet at my house, so I am starting to feel very distant from my family.  It has not been bad so far because I could email and skype with Brian and the kids.  Also, the Costa Rican phone that I rented, ran out of minutes last night.  I had a very emotional day, because at our coffee break time during Spanish class, I was unable to even send my kids an email because of all of us trying to use internet at the same time.  Today has been rough and I am missing my family, especially my babies!  I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.  I came across this quote the other day, and it seems fitting for this day.
 

I must say, that our Spanish class has been much better since that first class on Monday.  Yesterday, our teacher Yamal spent most of the class time, asking us questions, and answering our questions we had for him.  I feel as though I learned more yesterday, through simply having an on-going conversation (he still only spoke in Spanish) than I have since we arrived in Costa Rica.  Today, he started pushing us harder, and I felt as though he pushed us too hard again.  We have been trying to distract him by asking him questions, but I think he has caught on to our plan!  He says that we talk in “Spanglish” and apparently, I talk in Spanglish more than anyone.  I have to say though, I am able to speak a lot more Spanish than I thought I could.  He has been pushing me to stop the Spanglish and only respond in Spanish in the classroom and this is very hard for me, because it limits my speaking to only the words we have learned and Heaven knows, I have so much more to say than that!  Also, I think he thinks I know way more than I actually know!

On another ironic note, when I went to bed, I turned on my MP3 player and the first song that came  on was, “Lonesome Day Blues” by Bob Dylan.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! You will be with your family before you know it! Take deep breaths and enjoy the ride you're on now. You should be so proud! :)

    ReplyDelete