Thursday, May 22, 2014

Not better, not worse, just different! (Como se dice Culture Shock!) 5/22/14

Since arriving in Costa Rica, there is a vast list of actions, customs, procedures, etc, that are different from those in my minuscule part of the world of Springfield, Missouri.  This post will most likely be added to as my journey progresses.

Bathroom Woes: One of the biggest shockers for me is that in Costa Rica, they do not flush toilet paper, therefore it must go into the trash can.  Everybody understanding yet?  Out of everything, this has been the hardest concept and habit for me to grasp.  I am starting to think Americans are very spoiled (as if I didn't know that already!).

Sweat Galore: The climate here is extremely humid and hot....I know I am in a rainforest, but I was still somehow shocked by the climate here.  For one thing, I sweat like my father, who sweats excessively for a man anyway, and for another thing, those genetic sweat glands do not mix very well with the tropical climate!  My grandmother used to say women did not sweat, they glistened, however, I am pretty sure if she is watching over me from Heaven, as I believe she is, Costa Rica has proved her extremely wrong!

Pure Vida:  Pure Vida is a phrase that means pure life, but in Costa Rica, it is so much more!  Here Pure Vida is a way of life.  Costa Ricans are very relaxed and laid back people.  They use it as both a greeting and a goodbye here.  It basically means live a good life, quit worrying, live it up, carpe diem, relax.  Pure Vida!

Driving:  In Costa Rica, only the highways have speed limits.  In town, I have not seen a single speed limit sign.  Also, although the  general rule of thumb is to drive on the right side of the road, it seems to me, drivers just drive where there is an empty space.  If someone is blocking the way, they simply go around them.  I have also noticed that there seems to be an unspoken rule that says the biggest car, gets to go.  It seems that the bigger the car, for example the bus we have been riding in, gets the right of way.  Another observation, is they use their horns here ALL of the time.  Sometimes to say hi, sometimes, when passing, and sometimes just for fun.  By the way, our bus driver has to be the best driver I have ever seen in my life! (Shout out to Janco!).

Money:  The money is so pretty here!  Plus, one of the bills has a sloth on it.  There are a lot of coins, and it has proven slightly difficult to account for the exchange rate being that approximately 550 colones equals 1 US dollar.



No comments:

Post a Comment